Working for the Weekend . . . Actually, the Next 3 Weekends!
Oct 13, 2010
Working for the Weekend – Actually, The Next Three Weekends!
There’ something magical about the weekend, especially this time of year. The leaves are starting to fall, the weather is cooling off and there’s always a football game to watch. For many of us, the mere thought of a relaxing weekend can offer respite from a stressful week at home or work.
For me, it’s the excitement of the next THREE weekends that has me all juiced up (that’s a technical term!). No, it’s not that my Kansas City Chiefs are 3-0 OR that my Virginia Cavaliers look better than I expected OR the start of the NHL season where hope springs eternal for my beloved Carolina Hurricanes. Those are all great things but why I can’t get Loverboy’s iconic 80′s tune out of my head (can’t remember the tune? – click HERE) is due to the major happenings with Mission 1:27 over the next three weekends! Here are the highlights:
- “Postcards and Pie” Letter Writing Event on Sunday, October 10 – The “Postcards and Pie” event is happening at noon this Sunday at Christ United Methodist Church in Southern Village. This letter writing event is focused on writing postcards gathered over the summer from different US cities for hand delivery to our Russian friends on our next visit later this month. Many of you know that the letters we write to the orphans are the highlight of our visit for the kids. They cherish the notes from their new family. For these kids, the letters are more than words on paper. These letters are a tangible expression that someone loves them, cares for them and calls them family. Won’t you help us deliver love and hope to these kids? Stop by for a piece of homemade pie and jot a quick note to on a postcard. It’s simple and delicious…just the way a weekend should be!
- “To Russia with Love” Fundraiser on Saturday, October 16 – Our first major fundraising event for Mission 1:27 is just a week away! The “To Russia with Love” Fundraiser is being held at Pazzo! in Southern Village from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m. The evening will include great food and drink served with a Russian flare by Seth Kingsbury and his team at Pazzo! – but the big excitement is around the silent auction! We have lined up lots of amazing silent auction items – here is just a small taste:
- Tree-top cottage in Maine, including use of two kayaks, for a week – including options in June.
- Waterfront beach cottage that is available for spring break week.
- Lots and lots of amazing sporting event tickets including UNC football vs. Virginia Tech, UNC basketball vs. Kentucky at the Dean Dome, Duke Basketball vs. Michigan State at Cameron and the Carolina Hurricanes vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at the RBC Center…and many more!
- Olympic medalists Carla Overbeck and Cindy Parlow will come teach your kid’s next soccer practice.
- Tour of the Biltmore Estate including a behind the Scenes tour not usually available to the public.
- ‘Cast and Blast’ outing for two at the Durham Wildlife club. Learn how to shoot skeet and fly fish with a son/daughter. Picnic lunch included.
- Take over the Lumina theater. You will have your own theater and can pick the current movie of your choosing. Bring 27 friends with you! Includes soda and popcorn.
- DPAC and NC Theater tickets
- Excellent jewelry, accessory, housewares and restaurant options and so much more.
You can get a preview of the entire listing of items by clicking on the program icon below.
Tickets for the event can be purchased online HERE or on the Heart below. We so appreciate your support and hope to see many of you at the event on Sunday, October 16.
- Chapel Hill Travelers Leave for Russia on Saturday, October 23 – The next group of travelers from our community will head to Slobodskoy in just over two weeks! The group of eight is in the final stages of preparing, packing and praying for the week-long excursion to visit our neighbors in Russia. We covet your prayers as we go on this pilgrimage. You’ll be hearing more about the plans for this trip in the coming week or so…and of course, we’ll be blogging while we are there. Make sure you subscribe to this blog so that you can get real-time updates and prayer requests from the team. We are so thankful for your love and support.
It’s hard NOT to be “Working for the Weekend” when there are so many exciting things on the horizon. Now I just need to get the song out of my head. At least I am not singing “It’s a Small World” – oops, that was a mistake.